Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fasting His Way

6 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
Earlier this week I used this verse to "observe" what the scripture was saying. When the discipline of "fasting" is mentioned, I would probably go about this with a pre-conceived idea of what a "fast" was. This opened my mind to what God has to say about His chosen "fast" and about loving one another, in this situation. It is a another unique way of God reminding me to "love others" . To think that I could "fast" by standing up and loosening the bonds of wickedness I see around me; or helping others with the heavy burdens they carry and undoing what burdens I have put on others; by releasing (forgiving?) those hurt by these things, and not going back to old practices of holding "things" so tightly. My view of a "fast" is changed.
--Ann Talbot

No comments: