Monday, September 22, 2008

Anger

An issue I have been dealing with for a long time is anger. I find that when I get angry about something, it tends to fester for some time. For instance, the other day I decided I needed a printer for school. I can't rely on the access to the printer at work so I needed to get my own. It was relatively imperative that I have the printer because I had a few things I needed to print for school for the next day. At any rate, this printer just refused to work and I spent 3.5 hours of my night trying to do something that I feel was relatively simple. I don't have a strange computer and its a simple USB connection to the printer so I was sitting back wondering why this was happening. I managed to control myself and just accept that I need to get another brand of printer but there was something lingering there behind the scenes. I didn't start to let my anger get to me until the next morning when I woke up. For me, this is the problem; letting it go. I really needed to print something for school that night and there was this wall of problems that was keeping me from doing it. I woke up with the same printer problem and instead of just accepting what I accepted the night before, I started to worry. In my head, I hear "My grace is enough." I don't really know specifically what this means but it could mean that I need a different printer, or that the Lord is trying to teach me something about being patient and not letting something like this get me down or to linger on it. The printer problem is solved for the most part but I gave into the emotion of anger and let it ruin an evening and part of the next morning. I believe that is why the Lord told us not to be angry. Anger is a natural expression of our emotions but it can be very destructive. When I find myself in this state, I always remember Mt 5:21-26: allowing yourself to be angry is equivalent to the sin of murder. It wasn't that bad, it was just a printer after all, however, I did let it get to me and let it affect my emotional state for longer than I should have (probably at all!).
--Darren

No comments: